Monday, July 9, 2007

Week 5, #11 Explore (and still playing)

I perused many of the award winning sites but I still have my reservations as to how I would utilize them. In light of recent of news reports about a missing girl and comments from those I know, I wanted to look into Craig's list. Personally, it does allow individuals to get information out to a majority but it brings up those questions about Internet safety.

A friend obtained a roommate via Craig's list and it turned out to be a disaster. They did not meet prior so there was no way of getting that "intuitive" "warm fuzzy" feeling about an individual. It was kind of like a mail order bride.

As with many of the Internet sites, an individual can become a chameleon and be whatever they want to whomever. There are so many great technological tools for our students to access on the web but I understand why school districts do not want to take the legal responsibility of where students go. If we minimize the filters to allow students to access Flickr photos (for example), we open the door to them accessing inappropriate materials. How do we merge the two?

Ning's are new to me. I joined a Library Technician group and am very excited to see where this goes.

And I played some more....thanks to Whats up I found another fun image generator site. And now it is time for some fun in the California sun!





Song Code form ProfilePitstop


Make your own at ProfilePitstop.com

2 comments:

IrmaPince said...

Student security is always a concern. We need to work with our IT departments to help them see the beneficial side to these tools while making sure the students know the dangers and how to avoid them.

Libladylib said...

How cool. Love the music.