Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week 9 #20 - Discover YouTube

I became aware of YouTube when my kids set up their MySpace accounts. They were always calling me into view another video that they found. Since then I am always looking at different things. There are some great positive library videos out there.
I just couldn't stop at just one choice...so I have three.

#1 - I couldn't pass it up. It's always fun when you find a family member or someone you know featured in an online video. And yet, freaky.

#2 - I just love the imagery in this video. Libraries, books and reading really do make a difference!

#3 - Just for fun. I laugh every time I see this video.

Unfortunately, in addition to some really great stuff there is a tremendous amount of inappropriate material as well. YouTube would have to be very closely monitored in order for any filtering system to allow it's viewing. Perhaps there could be some sort of view only tag that districts could embed into a video link so that you could not wander from its location. Not sure this would be accepted by districts either. Many, like our own, have cut so many budgets that there are barely enough tech reps to handle phone issues let alone deal with the Internet issues.

2 comments:

IrmaPince said...

TeacherTube hasn't been blocked - at least not yet. I've had success embedding You Tube videos onto my home web site and then linking to them on my school site. Gets around the IT fear of You Tube. Shhh. Don't tell.

Libladylib said...

Good job! Almost there!!!
Yippee!!!