Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week 9 #21 - Podcasts

I discovered podcasting about 6 months ago. The developer of our district webpage program, EdWeb, was updating our current version and asked my opinion on its value to our staff. One of the elementary teachers within our district was also testing its benefits. He uploaded his using an iPod. I, however, not owning one nor a microphone, investigated other options for creating a podcast. GabCast was a great alternative for me. I created a free account. Using a telephone and connecting to a specific voice mail, I was able to record and save my podcast. The message was saved and easily accessed via their website. GabCast gave me the opportunity to stay within my budget (zero), create a podcast easily within my classroom without district filters via the telephone, and post them on my web page. So easy.

It would be a great opportunity to collaborate with teachers and align their curriculum with library book talks. One of the ways we are looking into is to have students read a Social Studies supplemental reading, write a review, record their review and post it as a podcast on the class and library web pages. These books would also be "featured" in the library.

Here is an example of a GabCast podcast:

Gabcast! Podcast test #1

No comments: